Thursday, July 11, 2013

Captain Falcon's body isn't ready yet. . .

So during this year's E3 Shigeru Miyamoto got interviewed about stuff. This isn't necessarily rare or commonplace but usually when he is interviewed he says something interesting or illuminating about his workplace. like this quote about why there hasn't been a new F-Zero in 10 years.


"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game. I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don't know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."

  Considering Nintendo's accusations of “not intervening enough” this is an unusual and interesting thing to say. I felt most people would be excited just by the announcement of anything F-Zero but Miyamoto feels it won't be enough to remake F-Zero X. This got me thinking and it has some ideas. I'll just dump them here on this blog before they get stolen by ghosts.

Even after the third dimension F-Zero has a very basic and squarely way of driving. I think this is what Miyamoto means when he says F-Zero needs a new direction. If this user is returned away it was a mighty feel overly simplistic. The best I can think of is to emphasize what makes this your unique; you can take out the other racers.

The thing is I never felt that aspect of the game works very well in F-Zero X and GX. The spin attack introduced in X always felt uncontrollable and you rarely got right next to people in GX. When you do manage to score a hit one is enough to make most of the supersonic hovercrafts explode. I feels underdeveloped. What if the next S0 exercise not only speed but “dirty driving.”


  • Shield energy and boost energy would be separate.
  • Shield energy is restored upon completing a lap. Boost energy is restored like in past F-Zreos.
  • You boost as long as you hold the button down. You still get it after the first lap.
  • The spin attack from X and the side ram from GX would be gone.
  • You can vier left and right with the shutter/trigger buttons and press both to break. You can use this to push lighter vehicles into the side of or off the track or force them to break to avoid it.
  • You can damage other vehicles by boosting into them.
  • There be some kind of rear attack to stop people from tailgating you/punish people from boosting into you.


Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of fighting games but what am getting at is a racing game where you're fighting to control space on the track and force others to take slower routes. Unlike a Mario kart game however you would be able to anticipate what other drivers might do and counter it. At least that's what I would propose if I was working at Nintendo.

No comments:

Post a Comment